spoon

Aug 10, 2009

Marvelous Monday: Baked Stuffed Apples

So, Monday is the Mr's day off and I only work half the day. I usually make a nice meal on Monday evening so it's definitely a dinner night to look forward to.

We had roasted salmon with a tomato-basil-caper salad. I also made a zucchini and summer squash gratin (which I didn't take a picture of because it was the first time I made it) Then for dessert I made a Baked Stuffed Apple that was AMAZING! I got the recipe from the linked website and tweaked it because I'm a diabetic.

Told some friends I would post the recipe the way I made it so here it is!

Baked Stuffed Apples (Diabetic-friendly)

This makes 4 stuffed apples.

  • 4 medium size apples
  • 1 cup low fat ricotta
  • zest of 1/2 lemon
  • 5 packets of SPLENDA
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 vanilla bean
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • Sugar-free caramel sauce (Smucker's)
  • Cinnamon/Pumpkin Spice

Preparation

Remove the core of the apples. If you don't own an apple corer, OMGoodness, you need to buy one! It made this so much easier. I cored the apple and then used the corer to removve a good amount of the apple flesh easily. Chop the flesh up a little so it will cook up faster

Add 2 tsp of water to the apple flesh, vanilla bean scraped, cinnamon (or pumpkin spice-whichever you have) and 3 packets of SPLENDA. Cook until it gets really soft, soft enough to mash up.

Mash well, it will be a little chunky but that's the best part and let cool.

Once the apple mix is cool, In a container, add apples, ricotta, lemon zest, last 2 packets of SPLENDA, pure vanilla extract and egg yolk (save the egg whites in another bowl). Mix very well until the mixture becomes smooth.

Then, beat the whites into a fluffy consistency and fold into the apple-ricotta mixture. Fill the apples with it and cook in the oven for 20-25 min at 375F.

Drizzle with sugar-free caramel sauce and serve lukewarm.






I only had 3 apples so I had leftover apple-ricotta mixture. I used some "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray to grease two ramekins and then poured the extra mixture into it. I put it in at the same time as the apples. It made a nice, fluffy little cake that I served drizzled with sugar-free caramel sauce and a scoop of Carb-Smart vanilla ice cream.



ENJOY!!

~Mrs. Galvan~

1 comment:

Max02 said...

It was DELICIOUS!

Yum...

I'm so thankful for you AND that you love to cook. Good stuff, Leslie.

I love you