spoon

Aug 4, 2009

Creativity

Something that I struggle with is being creative. I tend to think safe with food, even with life. I don't know WHY that is. I mean, well, maybe I do...LOL! (I don't remember being very "day-dreamy" when I was a child. My imaginary friend disappeared at an early age.)

I've come a long way in the past few years with even trying food that I thought was gross because I finally came to realize that the reason I didn't eat a lot of certain vegetables/cheeses/meats was because my mom would tell me that I wouldn't like something. Having never tasted whatever it was I would agree and then just always look at that particular food and say, "I don't like it!"

This is something I'm gonna work real hard on with my own kids. I'll serve them something and if they TASTE it and don't like it, well then they don't like it. Of course that doesn't mean I'm not gonna try the food again served a different way with some different ingredients. For instance, my husband:), he knows that I do this with him OFTEN. For instance, he DOES NOT like cauliflower. So, whenever I've made steamed broccoli, carrots and cauliflower (because it's tedious to sit and pick out the cauliflower) I leave it on his plate. He usually pushes it aside or puts it on my plate. Then once, I bought a bag of frozen veggies with cheese sauce and he ate the cauliflower. He says it's because it had cheese on it, LOL!

Earlier this month I made Fully-Loaded Cauliflower Mash (my substitute for mash potatos) with turkey bacon, cheese and chives. I didn't tell him that it wasn't mashed potatos until he put it in his mouth. After the first bite, he pushed it aside. Secretly, I think it was because of the turkey bacon. I'm thinking I'm gonna try again with center cut bacon.

Anyway, that's what's running through my mind this morning.

As for being more creative with my food, I'm trying! I think that I'm succeeding too! I mean, i sort of don't really have a choice since I can't eat most other things due to my diabetes.

Tomorrow is my birthday and so my goal for the rest of my life is to continue to try to live life outside the box, try to have a little fun in every area. Besides, life IS short.

~Mrs Galvan~

No comments: