spoon

Sep 1, 2009

Marvelous Monday: Turkey Zucchini Meatloaf & Cauliflower Mash

So, the Mr. wanted meatloaf. I LOVE meatloaf but I knew that if I was gonna make meatloaf it was gonna be TURKEY meatloaf. (We’re trying to cut back on the beef!) The Mr. was okay with turkey meatloaf. Then I was thinking, “But I don’t want it to be BORING meatloaf” so I started looking online for something that wasn’t so boring and decided on Turkey Zucchini Meatloaf. I used THIS RECIPE from epicurious.com and pretty much followed it except no parsley and I subbed Panko bread crumbs for seasoned bread crumbs. (less sodium) The last 20 minutes in the oven I topped it with Tomato & Basil Marinara sauce.



I once again tried to get the Mr. to eat cauliflower…he ate what I put on his plate but he wasn’t gonna have another serving. Oh well! I tried :)

Cauliflower Mash

  • 1 head of cauliflower
  • 4oz low fat cream cheese
  • 4 slices of center-cut bacon (cooked & crumbled)
  • 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
  • ¼ cup Panko bread crumbs
  • 2 Tbsp butter (I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • Ground pepper to taste
  • ½ tsp of Dill weed

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

Remove the outer leaves of the cauliflower and steam in about a ½ cup of water for 15 minutes on medium-high.

Then mash the cauliflower and mix in the butter, the cream cheese, panko bread crumbs, bacon crumbles, cheddar cheese, salt and some ground pepper (to taste). Then pour into the blender and blend until smooth.

Pour into a pie pan. Sprinkle with Dill weed and a light sprinkle of bread crumbs to give some golden color.

Bake for 15 minutes , then broil for 1 minute to toast the top up.



Mm…I was VERY happy with this meal! My brother in-law came over for dinner too and well, he ate what would have been leftovers so, I’d say it was a hit!

I hope you get the chance to make one of these. Delish!

~Mrs. Galvan~

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Max02 said...

It was fantastic.

The meatloaf was SO good. I couldn't even really tell that it wasn't beef. It was moist and wonderful.

The "mashed potatoes" were good. But I KNOW they're cauliflower, and I just can't hack it. There's something inherently wrong with the taste of cauliflower in my mouth. I don't like it.

However, I must say that the mash itself tasted awesome. Minus the cauliflower, I'd eat a whole pot of it.

I love you!

The Mr.

Txstraub said...

You have to try using oats in meatloaf instead of breadcrumbs even. It makes it SOO moist!

Aaron, don't read this: Leslie steam the cauliflower then puree it and add to meatloaf, all the other flavors will hide taste and everyone is happy!

:-) I also like to make meatloaf in muffin pans. Mini meatloaves are so easy! Take less time to bake too! And they freeze well!

MrsGalvan said...

@Michelle LOL! If he even SMELLED the cauliflower steaming he'd KNOW...LOL!

The mini-loaves are an EXCELLENT idea especially for freezing. Cool!

@Max02 I love you. Thanks for at last eating what I served you:)

Max02 said...

@ Jason and Michelle,

I'm 'sorry, I read it. I had to. I must know what I'm eating. Especially if it's something as unappetizing as cauliflower.

I also like the mini-loafs idea. Very cool.

Sheila B. said...

I agree with Michelle putting oats in your meatloaf instead of breadcrumbs. i did that before and it worked just as good as breadcrumbs PLUS you're getting the benefit of whole grain goodness in your food - that's a very good thing!! And the mini meatloaf is a very cute idea :) I made one before and used cupcake pans, it was really cute. Good job on the meatloaf and cauliflower, les!

Jen said...

Hey Leslie! Made the meat loaf last night and Sergio really liked it! Great recipe! Thanks.
Love,
Jenn

MrsGalvan said...

@Eme AWESOME! :D