spoon

Apr 15, 2010

In the mood…to cook!

Today I woke up and all I wanted to do was COOK! Suffice to say, it's been an awesome day! I guess I just woke up in the mood to cook:)


For lunch I made a pork asado of sorts with summer squash and zucchini served over rice. It was easy, fast and a one pot meal!

Here it is:

-2 summer squash sliced
-2 zucchini squash sliced
-1/3 of an onion
-1/4 cup julienned carrots
-2 Roma tomatoes (seeded and chopped)
-2 cups chicken broth
-3 pork loin filets (cubed)
-1 Tbsp flour (to thicken)
-1 Tbsp ground cumin
-Salt/pepper to taste
-EVOO


1.In a large pot pour EVOO around like 4 times and allow to heat over medium heat then toss in the cubed pork and allow to get seared on one side.

2.Add ground cumin, salt and pepper and stir.

3.Toss in the onion and cook until translucent. Then add both the summer squash, zucchini and tomato. Cook for 5 minutes.

4.Add chicken broth, sprinkle flour, mix well and cover. Continue to cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes. This will soften up the pork so that when you take your first bite it will be soft almost melt in your mouth.


I served it over Ready to Serve Yellow Rice . It was a hit and the Mr. loved it. Sorry, no pictures because I was kind of hungry and forgot to take some. Next time!

The snack I made today came to mind because I was trying to figure out how to use up the 3 bananas and couple of strawberries I had in the kitchen. Tomorrow is grocery day so I need to use up all the fresh stuff so I can get some new stuff.

I did add some flaxseed meal to this recipe as it's a great source of fiber and I've been trying to add it to most things that I bake. It gives baked goods a nutty flavor and is also great in your pancake mixes!


Here's what I made:

Mini-Banana Bundts with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting


-1 cup Whole wheat flour (spooned and leveled)
-1/2 cup all purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
-1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp of Splenda Sugar Blend (or 3/4 cup of regular sugar)
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 cup (1 stick) I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
-3 to 4 mashed bananas
-1/2 cup egg substitute (or 2 eggs)
-1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
-1/4 cup Bob's Redmill Ground Flaxseed Meal


1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2.Spray 12-cup mini bundt pan lightly with Pam.

3.In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and flax meal.

4.Make a well in center of flour mixture.

5. In well, mix together butter, mashed bananas, eggs, andvanilla. Stir to incorporate flour mixture (do not overmix). Dividing evenly, spoon batter into bundt cups.

6.Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.

7.Remove cupcakes from pan; cool completely on a wire rack. About 20 minutes.



8.Drizzle tops with frosting .

9.Garnish with fresh sliced strawberries and/or fresh banana slices (I didn't because I used all my fruit for the recipe)


Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting

-1/4 C butter (room temperature)
-4 oz package cream cheese (room temperature)
-4 oz Light & Fit Carb & Sugar Control Vanilla Cream yogurt
-1/2 C strawberries, mashed up in a food processor
-1/4 cup Splenda Sugar Blend (or 1/2 cup of regular sugar)


1.Cream butter and cream cheese.

2.Mix in the yogurt and strawberries

3.Add 1/4 cup Splenda





This is an easy snack to make so, get to it and let me know how it goes!


~Mrs. Galvan~


1 comment:

Txstraub said...

I add flaxseed meal to our pancake mixes too! I also do a teeny pinch of baking soda, really helps the pancakes be a bit fluffier. At least for ours since I have to use rice milk and egg replacer.

Everything sounds nummy!